Housing Choice Voucher

A resource for Housing Choice Voucher participants and landlords

To ensure fairness, Home Forward has an informal hearing procedure for you to dispute certain decisions about your rent assistance benefit.

You may request an informal hearing to re-evaluate a decision by Home Forward and assure that it was lawful, and followed HUD regulations and Home Forward policies. 

Northwest Tower

  • Income calculation

  • Utility allowance

  • Determination of the family’s voucher size under Home Forward’s Subsidy Standards

  • Request for a subsidy standards exception

  • Voucher termination
  • Administrative determinations by Home Forward

  • General policy issues or class grievances

  • Establishment of Home Forward’s schedule of utility allowances for participants in the program

  • Denial of voucher extension

  • Voucher suspension

  • Determination not to approve a rental unit or lease

  • Non-compliance with Housing Quality Standards (unless the result would be voucher termination; then a hearing would be allowed)

  • Household size non-compliance

  • Failing to remedy an eviction notice issued

If Home Forward makes a decision regarding your rent assistance benefits that qualifies for an informal hearing opportunity, Home Forward will notify you. The notice will include a deadline for requesting a hearing, by which you must submit a written request for an informal hearing. If the informal hearing is requested by the specified deadline, an informal hearing will be scheduled.  

We will also send a confirmation letter including the date, time, location, and vital information for the hearing.

The Grievance Procedure for Home Forward Residents and Participants is available in English and Spanish.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email